School Support Designation for Property Taxation


City of Orillia General Enquiries
50 Andrew Street South
Suite 300, Orillia
Ontario L3V 7T5

Phone: 705-325-1311
Fax: 705-325-5178

Map to this Location
Email Contact
View City of Orillia Website

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) maintains school support information for every property in Ontario as required by Section 14(1.1) of the Assessment Act. School support information is included on every Property Assessment Notice.

It is not necessary for a property owner or tenant to have children in order to support a particular school board or to vote for its trustees.  However, Section 16(4) of the Assessment Act requires that the school support designation default to English-Public unless the owner or tenant advises MPAC otherwise.

Sections 236 and 237 of the Education Act set out the requirements for property owners to indicate their school support. Qualified owners or tenants may designate support for each residential property they own or lease. The Act also allows for qualified individuals to vote in the next municipal election for trustees for the school board they support.

There are five school support options available:

  • English-language Public District School Board
  • French-language Public District School Board
  • English-language Separate District School Board
  • French-language Separate District School Board
  • Protestant-Separate School Board (available in Penetanguishene only).

To support a separate school board, the property owner or tenant must be Roman Catholic. Owners or tenants may only direct school support to one of the boards operating in their municipality.

Separate School Lease Agreement

A Separate School Lease Agreement allows people who jointly own or rent a property to designate school support to the Separate School Board when one of the owners or tenants is non-Roman Catholic. This agreement allows the Roman Catholic joint owner or tenant the right to designate the school support for the non-Roman Catholic. Otherwise, the English-Public designation applies as required by the Assessment Act.

Only one school support designation is allowed for each household. If only one owner or tenant qualifies, the separate school board should be contacted so that a Separate School Lease Agreement can be provided. The lease is also available at the City Centre, 50 Andrew Street South, third floor reception counter, as well as on the Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board website.

The Process

When a property owner or tenant calls MPAC (1-866-296-6722) to change their school support designation, his or her identity will be verified for security purposes. MPAC will confirm the school support information on file for the property and if a change is required, the property owner or tenant will be asked to complete a Request for Occupant Information form, which is available on the MPAC website, by fax, or mail. As required by section 16(3) of the Assessment Act, changes to school support designation must be made in writing.

Print, complete, sign, and return the form to MPAC. If a property owner or tenant would prefer to have a copy of the form mailed, he or she should indicate their preference to the MPAC representative on the phone. Once the Request for Occupant Information and/or School Support Lease Agreement are completed and signed, it can be returned to MPAC via fax (1-866-297-6703) or mail: MPAC, P.O. Box 9808, Toronto ON, M1S 5T9. MPAC staff will process the school support designation change upon receipt.